Epilogue: 10th Anniversary of Benazir Bhutto's
Pakistan on the chopping block in 2018?
The long running 'strategy of tension' coming to fruition in Pakistan
“it is folly to be America's enemy, it can be fatal to be its friend.” --- Henry Kissinger
To American and Pakistani
“Innocent of Knowledge”
With deepest condolences to the grieving nation
With deepest condolences to the grieving nation
A peek into the creation and execution of mantras as pretexts for War of 'Imperial Mobilization' – and the basis for its legal containment.
(and the first nuclear attack since 1945, on Iran–Pakistan)
- America's 'War on Terror' is a global fiction. While its victims are certainly very real, its motivation is fabricated. Iran and Pakistan will share the same fate (almost concurrently) unless Pakistan wisely disengages from this fiction immediately and overcomes the imperial 'divide and conquer' stratagems.If Pakistan does succeed in extricating itself in a timely manner and as outlined below, it can potentially end all of “imperial mobilization” on the 'Grand Chessboard' and usher in world peace through a forced early détente saving millions of 'life-units' through posterity, including the American public's lives!In order to extricate herself safely however, Pakistan must execute on all the subsequent steps or she will suffer an unparalleled decimation regardless.
- The present 'elections' in Pakistan are a manifest fraud under the orchestration of the 'hectoring hegemons' themselves, and must be abandoned in the greater national interest of the peoples of Pakistan themselves.This mantra of elections is replete with red herrings craftily synthesized to maintain Pakistan as a servile client-state in order to carry on with the same bold 'imperial designs' on the 'Grand Chessboard'. It is merely the rebottling of the same old wine in a different bottle. It will surely be legitimately conducted, with no apparent riggings, and duly approved by all the impartial international observers to give the artful elections an official international legitimacy.It is quite immaterial who wins in these elections. The laws and the judiciary of the nation have already been reconstituted under the umbrella of 'emergency' to enable the nation to carry on unfettered in its primary objective of fighting the 'War on Terror' as an obedient patsy client-state – and hence to carry on in its own devilishly crafted suicide!These elections will conveniently 'elect' a legislature whose leaders have also been deftly primed by the 'hectoring hegemons' themselves! And the highest executive office in the land is already retained in the hands of the same old 'wine' drinker.Thus all the 'ducks' are still lined up perfectly in a row, just as they were on the very eve of 911.
- The people of Pakistan must fully reconcile with the Military of Pakistan immediately – the reconciliation being of the type that was witnessed by the surprised world between the oppressors and the oppressed in South Africa.Not the type that is being pushed through the NRO to legitimize looters, plunderers, and rapists of the nation in order to staff the legislature with the made by 'CFR in the USA' and made by 'RIIA in the UK' Pakistani politicians with at best criminal credentials, and at worst, treasonous ones!The military of Pakistan, as an institution, is indeed also the only hope of Pakistan as we must survive on the 'Grand Chessboard' and only they hold the cards. What is about to befall the nation can also only be averted by them. The civilians and the Military must unite – immediately – for overarching national considerations that far transcend individual grievances, ego trips, and past transgressions.Thus the civilians must abandon all meaningless and mindless protests which are in any case devoid of any fundamental comprehension of the reality du jour on the 'Grand Chessboard' – none of them seek fundamental changes to our fate, nor do they appear to fathom what such changes are even supposed to be – and are merely only chasing red herrings that have been deftly crafted as perhaps per the Machiavellian 'technique of infamy'.  Please see their systematic deconstruction in “Disassembling the Pakistani red herrings”.These protests are needlessly continually giving the Western public the impression of 'instability' which only adds to the credibility of the various pretextual mantras to come 'deliver' us from ourselves! There is much more at stake than to usher in a thin veneer of faux 'democracy' which is all that these protests are unwittingly accomplishing as can be empirically witnessed by anyone with half a brain.
- Instead of the faux 'democracy', the Pakistani Military rulers on their part must now rise to the challenge of genuine patriotism and as genuine guardians of the nation and help carve a genuine Democracy, with the capital D and without the quotes, as briefly outlined in “Re-Imagining Pakistan's Defenses - Open Letter to a Pakistani General”, and as explored in “Saving Pakistan from Synthetic 'Terror Central'”.Briefly, that entails crafting a genuine Constitution under a bilateral 'social contract' between the people and the state, that is subsequently ratified by the people of Pakistan through a direct referendum vote. This can be accomplished within a few short months if there is the national and military will that understands the urgency of the matter and executes on it by gathering the right peoples to craft it!
- Under the new Constitutional mandate so approved, put the continued participation in the 'War on Terror' to public referendum. The national mandate so derived will have international legitimacy that is unparalleled, and will effectively be internationally un-challengeable. This will enable us to safely disengage from the 'War on Terror' and safely save ourselves. This is precisely why genuine Democracy is the worst nemesis of the 'hectoring hegemons', and dictatorships and absolutist 'unity of command' their best friend.This means that there will surely be much opposition to its realization by the 'hectoring hegemons' and their pathetic mercenary minions, 'circus clowns', and 'native informants' under various guises. How to counter that preemptively is also outlined in “Saving Pakistan”. The re-genesis of a nation is not an easy task and cannot be underestimated for the number of enemies and new challenges it will seed to obstruct its full realization. These must be anticipated and neutralized!
- Under the same Constitutional mandate now built into the system to create a more 'heavy weight pawn' on the Grand Chessboard that moves quite autonomously in its own best interests by its very design, initiate 'Full Spectrum Alliances' with the neighbors.A Sub-Continental Union (SU), seeding the nexus of a greater Asian Union (AU), furthering into a “full spectrum alliance” of the entire Global South, and mutual self-defense and trade treaties extending first and foremost to the immediate neighbors that have been already signaled out for 'shock and awe' visitation, makes all the minnows now impervious to all threats of 'sanctions', and all the subsequent saber-rattling threats of 'shock and awe' effectively toothless, as our retaliation on the 'Grand Chessboard' will no longer be towards what used to be our favorite traditional punching-bag nemesis India, but a full spectrum 'Samson Option' which would also have been fully ratified by a national public mandate in full spectrum self-defense!If Israel can have a 'Samson option', and the United States and Russia can each have theirs to assure mutual destruction to any adventurers and facile doctrines of 'preemption' applied to them, so can Pakistan! It is the only way! Either the entire world must be free of nuclear biological and other WMDs, or every peoples must have credible deterrence against them through realpolitik 'full spectrum alliances' when predators seek “primacy and its geostrategic imperatives” and “full spectrum dominance” on the 'Grand Chessboard'!
- Such a national public mandate under a publicly ratified Constitution gives international legitimacy to such a self-defense in no less measure than that enjoyed by Israel, the United States, and Russia, and such coming together in 'full spectrum deterrent' self-defense by the minnows leads to immediate détente on the Grand Chessboard. This can be witnessed in its graphic real-life imagery in this amazing 8 minute Youtube video “Battle at Kruger” that will surely inspire any human soul with even an ounce of self-respect still left them by their Faustian pacts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM).In the construction of such a détente with our astute political ascendance and realpolitik courage to 'throw the tea overboard' backed up by the credible threat of 'MAD'ness instead of the continued subservient 'may I have some more please sir', we have saved an entire humanity from annihilation without firing an actual shot, and without killing a single human being. Checkmate by the minnows, oh Brzezinski!
- The term 'Hectoring Hegemons' is used by the neo-cons themselves to describe their own monumentally criminal bullying of the world which is the ongoing crimes against humanity disguised as the 'War on Terror'. It occurs in the author's field of the PDF file of their famous document 'Rebuilding America's Defenses' published by the neo-con's 'Project for the New American Century', and among its listed contributors are Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, et. al. See the snapshot of this term at https://sites.google.com/site/humanbeingsfirst/download-pdf/hectoring-hegemons-pdf.jpg, and see its full dismantling in the essay “Dialog Among Civilizations – Whytalksfail? Part-1” at http://humanbeingsfirst.org. This PNAC document at one time was available from the PNAC's own website at http://www.newamericancentury.org/RebuildingAmericasDefenses.pdf, and has also been archived worldwide, including by Project Humanbeingsfirst as part of its own 'Exhibit A' (http://PrisonersoftheCave.org) - awaiting a 'just judge' like Robert H. Jackson (https://web.archive.org/web/20071207214020/http://www.courttv.com/archive/casefiles/nuremberg/close.html) to finally administer a 'victor's justice' someday!
- 'The Grand Chessboard – American Primacy and Its Geostrategic Imperatives' is the title of the 1997 book by Zbigniew Brzezinski – President Jimmy Carter's National Security Advisor. He is the realpolitik strategist who delighted in “giving to the USSR its Vietnam War” at the expense of some deftly cultivated “Stirred up Moslems” by exploiting the various Muslim societies' own genuine disaffections, and who are today being re-used turned 'inside-out' remarkably effectively - quite unlike an ordinary 'used-condom' which only shows the immense realpolitik power of well executed 'doctrinal warfare' never to be underestimated in favor of C4I, tanks and airplanes, but to be equally mastered and countered - and variously labeled as 'islamofascists', 'islamists', 'militant islam', 'islamism' et. al., in order to now fight the new 'lifetime' of 'World War IV' for 'full spectrum dominance'.Brzezinski is still among the contemporary key architects of the 'Grand Chessboard' and his stark warning of a second '911' type terrorist attack in America to be deliberately blamed on Iran (and perhaps also on Pakistan as where the already signatured 'loose nuke' came from; this new 'terrorist' attack will invariably be nuclear to scare the war-averse and reluctant American public into waging a nuclear war on Iran and Pakistan) cannot be taken lightly. His warning is an absolute wakeup call to both Pakistan and Iran to stop their 'pussy-footing' and get real in building 'full spectrum alliances' in mutual self-defense. Why Brzezinski would issue such a warning and let the cat out of the bag is beyond the scope of this letter. But there is much empirical evidence substantiating its validity.
- America is already rehearsing the response-drill to a 1-kiloton 'terrorist' nuclear attack exploded at 100 meters in a cosmopolitan American city - see https://web.archive.org/web/20080126171809/http://www.twq.com/07autumn/docs/07autumn_cmp.pdf , and https://web.archive.org/web/20080126171809/http://iis-db.stanford.edu/pubs/21872/DayAfterWorkshopReport.pdf , for 'terrorist' nuclear attack-drills and the 'The Day After' preparations already under way. (Imagine, all through the Cold War when the world sat at the brink of a real 'Dr. Strangelove' style Armageddon, and through the 'Bay of Pigs' crises when the world actually came close to a nuclear exchange, there were also such drills to this level of precision, mobilization, and practice evacuation as there are today which implies that a real 'attack' is anticipated as yet another mobilizing 'new pearl harbor' pretext far more devastating than 911, to warrant nuclear strikes in retaliation). A mock drill with the outlined scenario was rehearsed at the Washington-Oregon border recently. To understand the deeper Machiavellian significance of terrorist 'attack-response' mock drills, please see “7/7 Mock Terror Drill” ( https://www.globalresearch.ca/7-7-mock-terror-drill-what-relationship-to-the-real-time-terror-attacks/821 ). It was surely a mere coincidence that just as the superpower was into at least 15 simultaneously simulated terrorist 'attack-response' drills being run by the CIA, the Pentagon, the NSA, et. al., and now amply documented, on the very day of 9/11/2001 and at the very same moment for the exact same scenarios, that cumulatively and serendipitously transpired into the actual real attack the very same moment. Please see the book 'Synthetic Terror' by Webster Tarpley 4th edition, and this online Ch-19 of “Crossing the Rubicon” by Michael Rupert at https://web.archive.org/web/20080126171809/http://www.newsociety.com/titleimages/rub_war.pdf. It was also surely mere happenstance that the UK was into a simulated terrorist 'attack-response' drill for the exact same scenario on 7/7/2005 as the actual real terrorist attack that serendipitously also transpired that very same moment.This is precisely why courageous activists throughout America are now vigilantly looking for such drills and trying to get them canceled by attempting to create a public furor around them lest a simulation is once again ethereally super co-opted by a bearded 'evil yoda master' sitting cross-legged in a cave in Afghanistan on a dialysis machine using merely his awesome 'power of the dark side' to precipitate a real attack!
- “Pirates to emperors” refers to the seminal distinction made between the lowest and highest tiers of terrorists by the Christian theologian St. Augustine in the 4th Century AD in his “City of God against the Pagans”. He had insightfully noted the following definition for all future generations to benefit from:“When the King asked him what he meant by infesting the sea, the pirate defiantly replied: 'the same as you do when you infest the whole world; but because I do it with a little ship I am called a robber, and because you do it with a great fleet, you are an emperor.' ”
- “Full Spectrum Dominance” is the title of Chapter 3 of the US Department of Defense Strategy Document “Joint Vision 2020”. It was Published by US Government Printing Office, Washington DC, June 2000, and for a time was available publicly from the website http:www.dtic.mil/jv2020. It no longer appears to be available from that site, but its summaries can be found by searching the internet with that keyword. An extended quote from its chapter 3 can also be found in Chapter-1 of my 2003 book at PrisonersoftheCave.org
- “Democracy is inimical to imperial mobilization” as astutely noted by Zbigniew Brzezinski in the 'Grand Chessboard'. It is also the unstated assumption behind Brzezinski's warning of the 'terrorist act' (to the Senate in February 2007 as a prelude to launching an attack on Iran) as it is his profound belief that the modern American 'populist democracy' is not naturally inclined to wage wars upon others unlike in previous empires whose subjects were imbued with the spirit of 'la mission civilisatrice' – 'the white man's burden' as Rudyard Kipling put it in his 1899 ode to American Imperialism in the Philippine Islands - except in self-defense. See the detailed deconstruction of just this one pithy sentence that gathers within its political wisdom, all of Machiavelli and Leo Strauss, in my 2003 book “Prisoners of the Cave”. It is also more succinctly explained for the benefit of Pakistan's ruling elite, in my exposition “Re-Imagining Pakistan's Defenses – Open Letter to a Pakistani General” at Humanbeingsfirst.org
- This was the sentiment expressed by George Kennan in 1948 that set the 'Truman Doctrine' and all subsequent practice of “straight power concepts” on the continually evolving 'Grand Chessboard'. See his Policy Planning Study Memo PPS 23, the full quote in context is reproduced below. It is still the standard imperial operating principle governing the 'empire' through its present 'Bush Doctrine' of 'primacy' and 'preemption'. Nothing changed for the United States in its Foreign Policy over the past 60 years except the various shades of “straight power concepts” to match the evolving realities on the 'Grand Chessboard' – a blatant fact that the Pakistani rulers seem to want to suicidally ignore:“We have about 50% of the world’s wealth, but only 6.3% of its population …. In this situation, we cannot fail to be the object of envy and resentment. Our real task in the coming period is to devise a pattern of relationships which will permit us to maintain this position of disparity without positive detriment to our national security. To do so, we will have to dispense with all sentimentality and day-dreaming, and our attention will have to be concentrated everywhere on our immediate national objectives. We need not deceive ourselves that we can afford today the luxury of altruism and world-benefaction …. We should cease to talk about vague and - for the Far East - unreal objectives such as human rights, the raising of living standards, and democratization. The day is not far off when we are going to have to deal in straight power concepts. The less we are then hampered by idealistic slogans, the better.”
- Bernard Lewis in “Crisis of Islam Holy War and Unholy Terror” - as he very eruditely set out to uncover the 'motivations' of the well formulated abstractions of 'al-qaeeda', 'OBL', et. al., in justification of the 'Clash of Civilizations' idea that he himself had seeded in CFR's 'Foreign Affairs' in 1990 as the irrational and unfathomable “roots of Muslim rage” that needed to be understood. To support his formulation, he had noted that “It should now be clear that we are facing a mood and a movement far transcending the level of issues and policies and the governments that pursue them. This is no less than a clash of civilizations - that perhaps irrational but surely historic reaction of an ancient rival against our Judeo-Christian heritage, our secular present, and the worldwide expansion of both”. And to further the cause of President George Bush's own subsequent impending holy 'War on Terror' upon the 'wretched' Muslims after 911, he so 'clairvoyantly' had already predicted in that book in his concluding sentence on page 164: “If the fundamentalists are correct in their calculations and succeed in their war, then a dark future awaits the world, especially the part of it that embraces Islam”.And of course, according to the blanket (unproved) assertions by the White House and the Pentagon, and subsequently repeated ad nauseum by Bernard Lewis and the likes of 'Committee on the Present Danger': “The 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon represented a carefully orchestrated effort of al Qaeda to force America's retreat from Muslim lands”, all of which came together quite splendidly to give much currency to the 'unbirthday party' of the neo-cons' “War on Terror”! So the “roots of Muslim rage”, according to Bernard Lewis, led to the “clash of civilizations” on 911. No mention of course of any premeditated “imperial mobilization” at the 'unbirthday party' table. From at least 1990 to 2001, eleven years in the making, and still on going today in 2007.Is there one equal to the likes of Messrs. Bernard Lewis, or equal to any of the organizations like CPD (their once visible and amazing membership list that read like a who's who was available at: https://web.archive.org/web/20080126171809/http://www.fightingterror.org//members/index.cfm but seems to have now disappeared), or AEI (from where Bush acknowledged borrowing twenty of its best minds to run his administration), anywhere in the Muslim world that can intellectually compete with this level of doctrinal craftsmanship and Machiavellian political thinking? See Chapter 9 of my 2003 book “Prisoners of the Cave” for further deconstruction of their doctrinal craft.What is the point of having nuclear weapons and being armed-to-the-teeth, if mere doctrinal warfare is sufficient to 'disarm' fools and patsies of their own rational self-defense and their own independence of action? Most reasonable people in any nation would rather have clean drinking water in their taps and quality K-16 education for their children along with a roof over their head instead, if this is to be the ultimate reality of their infernal military spendings first bought at the expense of their considerable collective misery, and then subsequently disarmed them of it with even more misery! When the annals of history are eventually populated with the tales of the twenty-first century, school children will wonder what had happened to the brains of these foolish nations that they committed such suicide by choice!
- 'The Technique of Infamy' is attributed to the famous American intellectual Ezra Pound who made his bet with Mussolini. It is the most sophisticated dialectics of mass deception that any diabolical mind can conceive and Ezra Pound explained it. In its simplest rendition: “invent two lies [mainly opposing ones], and keep the people busily engaged in which of them might be true”. In its more sophisticated variation, invent multiple lies that sound plausible, or even incredible, to keep people busily engaged either dispelling them or arguing which of them might be true, while the fait accompli proceeds in the background. Ex post facto, it matters not what was lie and what was truth as the “victor will not be asked afterward whether he told the truth or not” (Hitler)! As Daniel Ellsberg of the 'Pentagon Papers' fame told me when I went to see him to give him a copy of my 2003 book to review, that when he was at the Rand Corporation, they diligently and intimately studied the tactics of the Nazis, not to mention all the wars and war-doctrines all the way back to Sun Tzu's famous 'The Art of War', in order to learn the real practice of the art of warfare from them! Ellsberg autobiographical book 'Secrets' lays out exactly how falsehoods and deceptions were deliberately crafted to keep the American public engaged in the Vietnam War – in the same way as some future insider gadfly will surely disclose how the 'new pearl harbor' of 911 was the new 'gulf of Tonkin', and how such and such Machiavellian 'bull-shit' was continually crafted with the 'technique of infamy' to keep the American public once again engaged in the 'War on Terror' for a 'lifetime'! See this Ellsberg analysis: “A coup has occurred” (https://www.globalresearch.ca/a-coup-has-occurred/6897 ).This time, and after displaying its awesome might in Afghanistan and Iraq, it's target Pakistan and Iran! If this attack succeeds, all dominoes in the 'arc of crises' will subsequently fall from sheer force of intimidation of a real nuclear strike by the 'empire gone wild' with no more Rubicons remaining to be crossed! If this impending attack is successfully foiled as outlined here, the dominoes of “imperial mobilization” will fall instead, saving countless, perhaps thousands of American lives, and millions of those of the 'lesser' humanity. With a détente on the 'Grand Chessboard', there would surely be no further catastrophic 'terrorist' attack inside America that could be taken as another “new Pearl Harbor” – for there'd be no point to it! “Imperial mobilization” would already be halted into a stalemate with only minor perturbations here and there. But if the 'have-nots' remained stupidly gullible to newer 'techniques of infamy' that will surely be continually practiced upon them by the 'haves' and the powerful, more covert-ops and proxy wars!
Made public on December 14, 2007.
Orchestration of 'Lal Masjid' massacre in Islamabad – a precursor to full spectrum “Shock and Awe”?
- how was it possible that under the very nose of the all powerful military Government in the modern Federal Capital could this shockingly antediluvian 'al qaeeda' construct have been allowed to germinate in plain sight, and pretty much all are coming up as empty handed;
- just as in the case of asking the same question of how 911 was allowed to be perpetrated by the 'evil jihadis' using sophisticated flying machines that they only learned to fly on flight simulators and subsequently hijacked with such ease with this incredibly antediluvian weapon systems often referred to as 'box cutters' under the very noses of the most armed to the teeth nuclear superpower state with an annual military defense budget that far exceeds that of the next two dozen nations combined, and similarly coming up empty handed!
- (1) More credibility and justification to continue fueling the fiction of global 'war on terror' (see for instance “Al-Qaeda, the eternal covert operation” ) – and not surprisingly in recent news reports even that linkage to al-qaeeda has been made manifest, even throwing in the name of Daniel Pearl for good measure ;
- (2) Continued desensitization of the locals to Muslims killing Muslims (and the Muslim 'state' being just another one of the actors in the contrived mayhem) to further the global agenda of getting the 'natives' to do the colonizing work – Palestine, Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan, (see the excellent summary in “Condi's creative chaos” ) – thus witness that there is no uproar among the local public, they accepted the concept of curfew and curtailment of their movements meekly under the pretext of necessity (what hasn't been wrought under the doctrine of necessity) whereas even if Sir Rushdie sneezes or a cartoon is created somewhere in deliberate provocation, all hell breaks loose in Pakistan to show precisely that 'Moslems' are antiquated fundamentalist nations harboring 'militant Islamists' (see “Satanic Pictures” ), and that it's “Not [even] a Clash of Civilizations, It's a Clash between the Civilized World and Barbarians” (see Daniel Pipes) ;
- (3) A broader agenda enacted piece-meal and known only to the puppeteers for what's in store for Pakistan between now and 2012 is being successfully orchestrated (and which we can intelligently guess at but, for which we shall find no receipts until ex post facto, i.e., after fait accompli). The timing of the appearance of this book written by a 'native informant' isn't just accidental (“Divide Pakistan: To Eliminate Terrorism” and CNN is already running its slick advertisement ), and nor is Pakistan being the most willing of all client states dutifully serving empire ever in question (for instance, see “Pakistan to help as the US's jailer”  or “Bush Authorizes New Covert Action against Iran”  or “CIA running black propaganda operation against Iran, Syria and Lebanon, officials say” ).
- So, can we say that we know for a fact that Bush hasn't authorized a similar covert-ops by black-ops forces in Pakistan to further substantiate, by hook or by crook, the raison d'être for continuing the 'war on terror', especially when it needs to be continually primed for a 'lifetime', and Pakistan is the perfect place of harvest for its plentiful recruits with already in-place “doctrinal motivation” left over from winning World War III, i.e., the Cold War?
- We do however know for a fact that its converse is true, and in the words of empire itself, that the empire does covert-ops a-plenty to achieve its “imperial mobilization” under the cover of “plausible deniability”. Given this realist's realpolitik understanding of the world of hectoring hegemons we live in who openly proclaim “hegemony is as old as mankind”, what are the most obvious first-questions to ask in attempting to unravel this rather bizarre, but easily avertable, Lal Masjid blood bath of manufactured innocent patsies set up for this propagandist purpose of aiding in the crafting of “Terror Central”?
- (1) to fully disengage from the fiction of 'war on terror'
- (2) to close our borders not just to the so called 'islamofascists' and various and sundry cultivated 'terrorists', but to the American agenda and its black-ops agents moving freely throughout the country as their own backyard synthesizing and financing 'militant Islam' under 'plausible deniability' and several degrees of separation
- (3) to close down and banish all American military bases immediately from Pakistani soil
- (4) and to point our deterrence-inducing weapons that we have so covetously developed ostensibly for the defense of our own peoples at much sacrifice to our social spendings and developmental economics including clean drinking water in our taps, directly towards all the geopolitical 'hectoring hegemons' outside of our borders on mated full alert in a genuinely threatening 'Samson Option' of our own, fully disclosed as our ultimate, publicly mandated, political doctrine for a 'MAD' self-defense such that no one, not even the world's lone superpower and its nuclear armed minions,  can co-opt our self-defense by arm twisting games of poker on the Grand Chessboard – the only sensible (sic!) and rational raison d'être for possessing such deterrence in the first place
The Question of Annealing the festering Sectarianism and Radicalization of Muslims on the Grand Chessboard
[ Caveat Lector: As the saying goes on state secrets: Those who know don't speak, those who speak don't know! The conjecture of Dr. A. Q. Khan possibly being a double agent falls within the cracks of closely guarded state secrets of at least two nations, Pakistan and the United States, and therefore will likely never be adjudicated as fact. Dr. A. Q. Khan has remained cloaked in controversy from the very beginning when he first wrote to prime minister Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto in September 1974, gratuitously offering his services as a great Pakistani patriot after India exploded their first nuclear bomb which created an existential threat for Pakistan. In the cloak and dagger world of compartmentalized intelligence ops and military ops of a national security state, there is more between heaven and earth than the best public minds can possibly dream of. The official narratives in the public domain on Pakistan's nuclear weapons program have been put there deliberately by both nations -- the truth can be something else entirely. Even deathbed confessions cannot be trusted in such cases. Intelligence operatives and all those working on state secrets and sworn to secrecy as part of their job, only take their real secrets to the grave, if not in the name of patriotism, than at least for the fear of reprisals to the loved ones left behind. That is the hard reality which cannot be ignored when examining the “confessions” of “whistleblowers”! Even official looking “secret documents” can be manufactured for public disclosure as part of the famed “declassification” process, or cunningly leaked, for writing the public version of official history. Whistleblowers of state secrets therefore, especially when it pertains to national security, are either a Trojan horse, or, patsies and useful idiots still unwittingly serving their former masters in the name of conscience. That appears to be the case with Sibel Edmonds as demonstrated in the letter to her. Her meaningless revelations of low level chatter are mere tunes of the Mighty Wurlitzer. The opinions of Pakistani nuclear scientists also cannot be trusted for the same reasons. They will never disclose any real state secrets! The same is true of officialdom. Since his downfall from grace after his shameful public confession on February 4, 2004, on Pakistan television of illegally participating in nuclear proliferation without the knowledge and permission of the state, thus saving Pakistan from any backlash were it also implicated, it has become fashionable to speak ill of the sacrificial lamb who can hardly defend himself with any moral standing after that public performance. Dr. A. Q. Khan will surely take all his state secrets of both nations silently to his grave. He may well be the true patriot, or he may be the double agent recruited by Uncle Sam, or his own self-serving agent, or, all three! His recompense will surely be in his grave (from Allah!)]
High School Student Comment:
Letter to FPIF Editors to print my rebuttal response:
Conclusion: Nuclear Security and Hectoring Hegemons
Letter to Matthew Bunn of
Harvard on his risk assessment of Nuclear Terrorism from 'pirates'
while ignoring the 'emperor'!
Senior Research Associate, Project on Managing the Atom
April 02, 2008.
Old wine in a new bottle –
Happy-Happy Zardari: A monologue on Hope and Voluntary Servitude
For him it was a great day, the best day of his life, but somehow the new president did not let the people of Pakistan celebrate the day with him, as he chose not to make any major announcement, did not address any of the burning issues which have divided the society and offered them no hope on his debut, though he may try to do so later. ...
[T]he country and the nation are waiting for President Zardari, PM Gilani, Speaker Mirza, their chief ministers in Sindh, Balochistan and NWFP, to come up with something which the people can celebrate. They say Zardari has got his Big Day, when will the people, in whose name he rules, get their break.'
The president was given a guard of honour by a smartly turned out contingent of the three services at the main gate of the Presidency when he arrived for the ceremony in the traditionally decorated buggy. Present at the gate was his father Hakim Ali Zardari, son Bilawal, daughters Bakhtawar, Asifa, sister-in-law Sanam Bhutto and personal staff received him.
Like a deferential son he touched the feet of his father Hakim Ali Zardari, an elderly politician of Sindh who kissed Asif Zardari on both the cheeks and then shook hands with him. Asif Zardari’s son Bilawal was clad in dark blue shalwar and long kurta while both his sisters were wearing shalwar kameez. President Zardari kissed his son and daughters affectionately. Pakistan High Commissioner in the United Kingdom Wajid Shamsul Hasan was also present at the main gate of the Presidency. Asif Zardari inspected the guard of honour gracefully with confidence visible on his face."
"Political parties do not make promises, they only arrive at understandings," Zardari said, adding that political understandings are "sometimes 50 percent successful, and sometimes more than that, but are still considered successful."
To a question on the future of the ruling alliance, Zardari said Nawaz had stayed away from democratic forces for a long time and that "we will try our best to take him along." '
According to at least two leaked American diplomatic cables which had made their way to the international media on December 7, 2010, a series of political and strategic blunders by Musharraf had given cause and justification to both Asif Zardari and the then army chief General Kayani to work separately for his honourable exit.
In two separate cables written by then US ambassador to Islamabad Anne W. Patterson, details were given about how General Kayani (who had just been elevated as the army chief after Musharraf took off his uniform to retain the presidency), and Asif Ali Zardari, the leader of the majority party in the new National Assembly (after the 2008 polls), had systematically started to distance themselves from Musharraf.
In a ‘brief’ and ‘talking points’ prepared for Admiral Mike Mullen during his early 2008 visit to Pakistan, Ambassador Patterson states:
“As expected, Gen Ashfaq Kayani is taking slow but deliberate steps to distance the army from now civilian President Pervez Musharraf.” In a separate cable about a meeting of US Representatives Adam Schiff and Allyson Schwartz with Asif Zardari in May 2008, the American ambassador had given details of how the PPP co-chairman (who later became president following Musharraf’s exit) advocated an ‘honourable exit’ for Musharraf.
According to the cable, “Zardari blamed Musharraf for not taking enough responsibility for the war on terrorism in Pakistan”, which resulted in a marked increase in anti-US sentiments in the country.
“Anti-US feeling will go away when the old faces go away,” the leaked cable noted, adding that the American government should no longer rely on just Musharraf in fighting terrorism. In her own assessment of Musharraf’s public standing, Ambassador Patterson wrote in the cable that a year ago, his popularity was high. But “beginning with his decision to fire the Chief Justice (Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry) in March 2007, Musharraf has made repeated blunders culminating in a state of emergency and temporary suspension of the Constitution”. A detailed reading of some of these cables suggest that by this time all three major players, Asif Zardari, General Kayani and the American ambassador, had made up their minds that time was up for the former military ruler who had already been accused of involvement in the tragic assassination of Ms Benazir Bhutto.
According to one of the leaked cables, the US ambassador wrote on August 23, 2008, during her meetings with Asif Zardari, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani and General Kayani, immunity for General Pervez Musharraf was discussed besides some other issues. The US Ambassador met with Pakistan People’s Party leader Asif Zardari on August 23, 2008 with then prime minister Gilani on August 21 and with then army chief General Kayani on August 20, 2008.
“In separate meetings with Asif Zardari, PM Gilani and chief of army staff Kayani, the ambassador pressed for quick action on immunity for former Musharraf. Zardari and Gilani said flatly they were committed to providing immunity, but not until after the presidential election (now scheduled for September 6, 2008). Pushing immunity now, they believed, could jeopardize Asif Zardari’s candidacy. General Kayani expressed concern that if immunity becomes tied up with the ongoing debate over the judges’ future, it may never happen. Zardari plans to continue to slow roll action on the judges’ restoration but remains confident that Nawaz Sharif will not walk out of the coalition.
“Nawaz’s deadlines for action on the judges continue to pass unfulfilled; the next one is scheduled for August 27, 2008. The August 20 decision by Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) to back Zardari for president has strengthened Zardari’s hand against Nawaz Sharif. Nawaz is left with the option of walking out of the coalition, but having little prospect of forcing a new general election in the short term.
“Asif Zardari is walking tall these days, hopefully not too tall to forget his promise to General Kayani and to us on an immunity deal.”
According to the leaked diplomatic cables, “Asif Zardari told the US Ambassador that he was committed to indemnity for Pervez Musharraf.
The ambassador stressed that only the promise of indemnity had persuaded Musharraf to step down as president. We believed, as we had often said, that Musharraf should have a dignified retirement and not be hounded out of the country. Zardari (subsequently) cited a British anecdote about the Spanish empire and said: “Tell the most powerful man in the world that there is no way that I would go back on what I have said.” Zardari noted that he already had firmly committed to the US, the UK and chief of army staff Kayani that indemnity for Musharraf would be forthcoming.
As the ambassador urged him to do it quickly, Zardari said flatly that to do it before he was elected president would lose him votes, but he would pass both the legislation and a presidential pardon as soon as he was elected. Zardari then revealed that Musharraf had approached chief justice (Abdul Hameed) Dogar about issuing a restraining order against the impeachment motion, but Justice Dogar had refused. Zardari also alleged that Musharraf had planned to replace General Kayani as COAS if Dogar had blocked the impeachment. Zardari said he was trying to keep Nawaz in the coalition and was candid that he planned to tie up the judges’ issue for a long time. He added that parliament would debate the restoration of the judges; chief justice Dogar would then submit some rulings on the restoration of the judges; all this could take months. In the meantime, he was trying to persuade former Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry to become Governor of Balochistan.
Going by the same leaked cable which was written by the US ambassador, Zardari said he did not think Nawaz would leave the coalition, but he admitted the Pakistan Muslim League had become increasingly testy. He said that he had already agreed with Nawaz Sharif to curtail the powers of the president and then allow Nawaz to be eligible for a third term as prime minister; both measures would require constitutional amendments. Zardari said he also had leverage over Shahbaz Sharif, who through paperwork snafus, had been technically elected illegally for a third term as the chief minister.
This, too, would have to be resolved in parliament, Zardari said. “So I can give them something they want,” noted Asif Zardari, “that’s what politics is all about.”
According to the leaked cable, after an August 20 (2008) meeting with the visiting S/CT Coordinator Dell Dailey, General Kayani asked the ambassador to stay behind and discuss his concerns that Asif Zardari was delaying General Musharraf’s immunity bill. Kayani had heard the large meeting of coalition partners (chaired on August 19, 2008 by the newly returned Bilawal Bhutto) had discussed the judges primarily. Then they decided to take a 72-hour break to consult the party members.
General Kayani said he took Asif Zardari’s commitments to now ex-president Pervez Musharraf as the most important argument in persuading him to resign. Asif Zardari made very specific commitments to Kayani. Now, for Asif Zardari to delay makes him (Kayani) look bad within his own institution “and I have to take the Army along with me.” Kayani also noted that the delay does nothing for Zardari’s reputation for trustworthiness. If this issue gets conflated with the judges and with Zardari’s own desires to be president, it will become too complicated to pass, Kayani said.
The US ambassador met with Prime Minister Gilani and Interior Minister Rehman Malik for 30 minutes on August 21, 2008. Gilani said the PPP was going to provide immunity to Musharraf, but the timing was important.
They were afraid that putting forward immunity legislation would lose them votes for Asif Zardari‘s presidential campaign. The ambassador pressed on this issue, saying that Musharraf would never have agreed to resign without the promise of immunity. He assured the ambassador that he and the party did not want vengeance. Regarding immunity, Gilani said “many will say that we have done a deal with America, but I still understand that we have to do it.”
Six years later, Gilani revealed on Friday that an understanding had been reached with the establishment that Musharraf would be given an honourable exit if he resigned, instead of going through impeachment proceedings.'
After the imposition of emergency on November 3 by Pervez Musharraf, Benazir Bhutto had categorically rejected the elevation of Justice Dogar to the post of chief justice. She had declared in front of the official residence of Iftikar Chaudhry that he was the real CJ and if she returned to power she would hoist the national flag at his residence.
For many who saw a smiling Zardari taking oath from CJ Hameed Dogar, this was a breach of public promise made by Shaheed Benazir Bhutto.There were unconfirmed reports that prior to swearing-in ceremony Zardari might ask the prime minister to restore the deposed chief justice.
The message given by Asif Zardari was quite clear - that the people and the media should now forget the defiant chief justice who had actually triggered the movement against Musharraf which enabled the exiled leaders like Nawaz Sharif, Benazir Bhutto, Shahbaz Sharif and even Asif Zardari to come back to Pakistan.
In exile, Benazir Bhutto was opposed to the judicial activism as she thought it might impede her return to Pakistan through NRO, particularly when Iftikhar Chaudhry had objected to such a law. That was why Benazir Bhutto had criticised Iftikar Chaudhry in her press conference, which she addressed a day before she landed in Pakistan on October 18 last year.
But once she returned to Pakistan she swiftly changed her position as she came to know the ground realities. The same Benazir Bhutto who had blasted Iftikar Chaudhry in her press conference in Dubai was seen leading a big political rally of her supporters to the house of the deposed chief justice. In her defiant and emotional speech, Ms Bhutto had told her workers that Iftikar Chaudhry was the real chief justice and that one day she would hoist the national flag on his residence. It is hoped that those who claim her legacy would fulfill her promise.'
The role of Mr. Dogar at the ceremony appeared to definitively signal that the former chief justice, Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, who was fired twice by Mr. Musharraf, would not be invited back to his old job. Mr. Zardari has refused to reappoint Mr. Chaudhry despite pressure from his former coalition partner, Nawaz Sharif, who left the government over the issue.'